Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 12 - Play Day

So do you remember the last day of school in elementary. It was a half day and all you did was play games? Yeah, that is what I did today.

*As a note, I am curious as to who is reading this blog so if you would just post a quick comment below I would love to know you are reading.

Again ran to the ashram to fetch milk with Dwarakimama in the morning. As always, we were laughing there and back. I rode the school bus with aunty this morning. Most of the kids at the know me by now and each were calling out to me to sit next to them. When I made it up to the top step, they all started laughing as I had to duck to fit. I natually went to the furthest back seat to be able to extend my legs without a seat in front of me.

At school, I first watched the 'opening exercises(?)' of the kids praying and singing the national anthem. I then taught some more tennis to a part of the 9th graders. I really enjoy it, even though I don't think they have picked up a tennis racket before. The next period I played volleyball. The boys loved it when I would spike it in their face or block someone hitting from the other side. And you know I love it too. Then we went and played basketball. It was offered the boys against girls, and I would be on the girls team. So much fun. Dribbling through all of the boys periodically, rejecting them if they came too close to the basket, dunking on their head (definitely not a 10' hoop) it was all so much fun.

Don't worry, I am not done yet. Three of the teachers then asked me to play tennis with them so we hit around for about 30 mins. The kids started the break while they were playing and many of them gathered around the court to watch. Dwarakimama (Admin as the kids call him) called "Jackfruit Break!" so I went with the teachers to a classroom to enjoy the fruit. Little did I know that I would be asked to sing the Kannada song that the kids had taught me (I think that I have been asked to sing it about 13 times now). After that I went and played basketball again with the 7th and 8th grade girls. I was a lot more passive playing with them. It was 95 degrees so I was pretty tired by the end, and a little reddish.

After school aunty, uncle, and I hit the town. We drove around Bangalore visiting several places. First was Poorima's parents (their son's in-laws). In India, it is very important that the two families of the couple getting married get along. We then did the one thing that makes me the most uncomfortable... shopping. I had told aunty that I wanted a corta (I merely described it and she told me what it was) so we went and picked one up at a store that was way more upper-class than what I am accostomed to. We then went and visited aunty's mother and sister. I sat and talked with her mother for about 20 mins. It really made me miss my Grandma Sarah.

4 comments:

  1. I bet you're turning into a lobster by now :) sounds like your having a good time and experience out there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I probably should have clarified in my previous comment - Sudha, the youngest of the Nandagopal sisters :-)
    Glad you're having fun! I *think* it's a good season to go to the bird and wildlife preserves in India. See if you can swing a trip to on of the tiger preserves before you leave. There is a beautiful one in Karnataka -Nagarhole. There's talk that by 2020 tigers may no longer exist in the wild :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not reading this. He's jersey. He skis in his jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We (Brenda & I) ARE reading this and thoroughly enjoying it every day. It's sort of a non-visual travel channel experience of getting to vicariously "travel" somewhere in your mind that you will most likely never get to go to in person.
    By the way, way back in 1959, when your dad & I "graduated" from elementary school, (Jefferson Elementary, Richland, WA) our HUGE CONCERN/FEAR on that last 1/2 day of school, was how/if we were going to get home without getting "smeared" by the mobs of 7th graders who were waiting for our release so they could smear bright red lipstick all over our faces, arms, hair & most likely, our clothing (by accident). It was a terrifying experience for every 6th grader and you can be CERTAIN that we were all too eager to return a year later to repeat the tradition on the next "graduating" class.

    ReplyDelete