Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 16 - Coming up with a creative title everyday is hard work.


Today we went to Bannergatta National Park. I would more call it a wildlife refuge/zoo with a zoo attached. Typically, when visiting a national park, I like to hike. This was not available and I was disappointed at first but was quickly reassured with great experiences. We (aunty, uncle, Aprameya and I) took the 'Grand Safari' around the park. We saw spotted deer, sambar deer, water buffalo, Asian elephant (small ears), lion (barely), Bengal tigers (several and very close, even white tigers), and Indian bear. We had piled into a mid size bus that had metal grates barring the windows. It was like Jurassic Park only with actual living creatures, and a whole lot less drama. I was a little perturbed when the bus attendant demanded a larger tip when he really didn't do much for me and I still offered him a tip.

We then went to the zoo right next door. It was well done. My favorite part, by far, was the elephants. First they brought them through the river and through the zoo. You could give the elephant a coin in its trunk and it would then pass it to the handler and then pat you on the head with the end of the trunk. Then then had the elephants pick up some grass and run through the zoo to their area. I went down and watched them eat for a half hour. I loved it. They are very dexterous with their trunk. I was very impressed. I rubbed them and just watched them. Great experience.

When we returned home, aunty and Suhasani taught me how to make masala dosa and chutney. We will see how it turns out when I get back to the states. They are such wonderful women. I really enjoy spending time with them.

MARCH MADNESS. Alright, so my favorite yearly event is college basketballs yearly tournament in March. It is so bittersweet being in India while it is going on. I stayed up several hours the other night watching the first BYU game and loved it. As I read the news online I see everyone commenting that this is the best tournament ever. Aaargggh. Oh well. I have cricket... Well to make up for it, I explained to Akshay how basketball is played and I was even surprised at the emotional investment I had in that conversation. I sure do love basketball.  Glad to see that UW is still in it. Go DAWGS. Hey, that would be a good title, so replace it in your mind above.

2 comments:

  1. OK, totally and completely jealous that you saw Tigers, especially white ones, so very close! Hope you took some good pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How 'bout "Wonderful Wildlife Experience" for a title, even if it is simple, straight forward and not all that creative?
    Tigers are awesome. We spent probably 30+ minutes watching 3 male cubs cavorting and wrestling with each other at the Honolulu Zoo last year.
    So, did you figure out how to make the masala dosa & chutney? If so, we want you over to prepare some for us in exchange for all the medical encouragement/advice/shadowing experiences and letters of recommendation. You just say when.
    Finally shame on you for forgetting the Zags in the tourney. Spokane traitor.
    Lamont

    ReplyDelete