Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 22 - A Day with the Fam

A concept that has been surprising for the families that I am staying with is that I really don't enjoy tourist things as much as spending time with them. My favorite part about India so far has been living with Indians. I don't feel like a tourist and I love it.

People are so funny. I always laugh when people stand up in a hurry when a plane comes to a stop and get out their luggage to wait for the those ahead to finally clear out. The train is similar here. People line up 30 minutes in advance to exit the train when they arrive at their stop. I casually sit in my seat and wait until we stop and the line has subsided and exit moments after those that waited.

I went to the rail museum with Santusht, Poornima, Samanvitha, and Antariksh. I love that family. The two kids are so funny and so much fun to play with. They were so excited to get on the trains and explore. Most of my time at their home is spent either playing with them or talking about cultural differences with Santusht and Poornima. The Indian Rail system is extensive and quite efficient. I enjoy learning about how things work and the trains were intriguing. I just wish that there was a description explaining how engines work, especially on the engine that was dissected to show you how it works.

Afterwards, I accompanied Santusht to take Samanvitha to her dance class. It is a south-Indian folk dance which was pretty cool to see. I am loving the exposure I am getting to such a variety of cultural differences while here in India.

Most of the evening was spent with me asking questions to Santusht and Poornima. Much time was spent discussing arranged marriages. I am learning so much about this culture and I am really enjoying it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey. I stand up after the plane has landed, not because I think it will shorten my exit time, but to stretch my legs and give my rear end a break.
    You are totally correct about interacting with the native folk. Staying at B&B's in Ireland allowed us to visit with our hosts during breakfast and dining at the home of one of Lamont Jr's Chinese professors in Nanjing was one of our most cherished travel memory ever.
    Finally, do you know anyone (besides Spencer, Brenda & I) who have ridden the train at Silverwood TWICE during a single day's visit? It is absolutely Spencer's favorite Silverwood attraction.
    Lamont

    ReplyDelete