Today was more like what I anticipated my time in India would be like before I arrived. As I was planning my time in India, I thought I would be more nomadic and more... alone. I have loved the hospitality I have been shown These families are truly amazing. My experience has been wonderful BECAUSE of them. I would anticipate have a much more negative experience if it were not for them. Today I did have the opportunity, with some hesitancy from Santusht, to meander through New Delhi by myself.
Before leaving, I of course played with Samanvitha and Antariksh for a while in the morning. It was fun playing 'doctor' with them. I was the patient and had to come up with symptoms and then Samanvitha would create an elaborate sure. She is so smart.
One thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of women laborers here. They are still wearing the colorful sarees. I never thought hard labor has ever looked so elegant. The lower class people are really looking for whatever they can to survive.
I took the arranged auto-rickshaw passed the President's house and the Capitol building and finally to the National Museum. Little did I know that the Museum was closed on Mondays. I decided then to walk the 1-2 miles to Connaught Place. En route, I passed by a white gentleman who seemed relieved to see me and asked if I knew where the India Gate was. I had just passed it and explained to him where it was. We began a conversation and spoke for about two hours there sitting on the sidewalk. While we were talking about 8 different drivers asked if we needed a ride somewhere. Really? We were sitting talking on a sidewalk in no-way appearing that we were looking to go somewhere. I laughed at that one.
Radek is from Czech Republic and is currently living in Texas. Well, he will be in India for the next 3 months. He arrived yesterday and had no idea what he was doing. He was SO relieved to see me and to talk to me. I told him about the things that I had done and about the things that I recommended that he do. We then went to a store to look for souvenirs. As we parted ways, he excitedly agreed to join me tomorrow for my tour of the Red Fort and the Jama Masjid.
I then went to some street vendors and purchased some small souvenirs. Bargaining with vendors is something I really don't enjoy but did it effectively. Afterwards, it was time to return home and so I began looking for a rickshaw that would take me back. That proved a lot more difficult than I first anticipated. Yes, I could get them to stop easy enough. I could not however convince and of the drivers to take me to my destination. They refused to use a meter and demanded at least 3 times what I had payed to get there. I think I talked to 20 rickshaws before I found one that agreed to take me. Little did he know that he would be making 3 times more than he expected due to a generous tip. He was patient at the Air Force security gate and was just a great guy that did a good job faking that he understood what I was saying when I talked to him and asked about his family. :)
The rest of the evening was spent with Santusht and family. I really love spending time with them. The kids are so funny. I loved talking with Poornima and Santusht about various things especially arranged marriage. We spent probably about 3 hours on that topic alone. They even showed me their wedding video. I loved it. It is A LOT different than what I thought it would be. I really like it actually. Call me crazy, but I think they are on to something there. I will talk more about it in my last India blog entry.
a story for Margaret
10 years ago
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment